Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Man and Our Van

I thought I'd take this chance to brag about the love of my life. Eric is a real car connoisseur, especially of sport and exotic cars. Cars are definitely one of his loves in life and he has owned 13 since high school! So, Eric has always wanted a "dream" car. We actually had a cherry red Corvette when we got married and that was not his pinnacle dream car if that gives you any idea. Little did Eric know how drastically his life was going to change.

To put it plainly, Eric swore to himself that he would never own a minivan. Well, since we were planning to have another child we were faced with the cold hard fact that we would not all in fit in our BMW 325xi sedan. So reluctantly, and I say very reluctantly for Eric, we sold the BMW and relied solely on our commuter/beater a 1999 Civic EX - which by the way is getting over 50 miles to the gallon! Google "hypermiling" and you'll see how. :)

So the search was on. Originally we were looking to get a crossover or SUV for our family vehicle, but after researching vehicle costs, mileage, and seat configurations Eric came to the conclusion that his worst nightmare was inevitably going to come true - We were going to purchase a minivan. We found our minivan and paid cash for it, so everyone felt good about that. But that didn't mean Eric would drive our new BMW, "Big Mormon Wagon." We have owned the van since June 3 and now the reason for my post...Eric drove the van for the first time this past Sunday! I didn't pressure him to drive or even ask him to. He just calmly, but probably screaming inside "please someone kill me," got into the driver's seat and said let's go. I think the amazing news of our impending addition just the day before fired him up to bite the bullet...or he was just getting sick of my driving. ;)

Luckily destiny was on my side and I had my camera with me so I could document this momentous occasion. He commented during the picture taking that ironically he was wearing a Lamborghini t-shirt and driving a minivan. I reassured him that our van was just his way of getting his family around, the family that he loves so much and that loves him more than he'll know. He said, "just keep telling me that." So I think it made him feel a little better.

I am so proud of my sweet husband. He is such a strength to me and I know that his family comes first no matter what the sacrifice. Don't worry baby someday we'll be cruising in your Lamborghini, or maybe just a Ferrari. ;) But for now here is our before & after...










7 comments:

Valeri said...

You are so cute, Rachel! This post was so well-written. I think it's hilarious that it's taken Eric over a month to even be willing to sit in the driver's seat!

Thanks too for the sweet memory comment. I too remember that night with you guys and the Goulds. It was so much fun playing cards and making our predictions of when Micah would come! We really need to get together again! Now you need to put the memory post on your blog so I can leave MY memory of you! :)

Unknown said...

HEY We are in the Van Market right now. What did you get? Do you like it? I am impressed that you paid cash.

The Goulds said...

I'm so proud of you Eric! Thanks Rachel this post brought me some laughter :)

Burns Family said...

Yeah a minivan! I can't wait till we get one. Congratulations on number three! BTW, Eric looks THRILLED ;)

Anonymous said...

We like the color of the van. Thats aboutthe color we were trying to find in our BMW....oh well. At least you can get your whole family in the car at the same time. We love the pictures. Love Dad and Mom

Nova said...

Chris had a hard time with our van too. Now he doesn't know how he lived without it. Have fun! Nova

Anonymous said...

Ethan, what happened to your hair? You look like you got a haircut at the Air Force Barber. You looked like Papa when he gets out of the chair at the base barber! UGH! It always takes two weeks to look good; then another two weeks and you have to get it cut again. Bah! love you cuties. Dad and Mom Stoker