Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"I'll rescue you!"

Our sweet Ethan has found himself, how ever difficult to believe, in the grasps of the "terrible twos." His tantrums, seasoned with blood curdling screams, occur when he is unable to communicate the ever pressing desires of his 20month old heart that we "unjustly" deny him. Like many mothers I struggle to know how to manage my child when he acts out, especially in public. But behind closed doors I callously put Ethan in his crib for a timeout. I have relinquished to such torture since he won't stay in a timeout anywhere else and instead follows me around the house screaming. After one such episode I placed Ethan in his bed and left him to do some other daily duties when I heard Micah yell reassuringly "I'll rescue you!" This is what I found...
Luckily I got there before Micah tried to dump Ethan over the crib railing if that was even his intent. It appeared that he just wanted to keep his brother company and that melted my mother heart. I am so blessed and grateful to have two boys who, despite their endless antagonizing entanglements, love each other and share so many moments of togetherness. I pray that they will continue to rely on and love each other all their lives. The following slideshow is a few recent pictures of them enjoying time together.



5 comments:

Valeri said...

Oh what a sweet story! And I SOOOO understand the terrible twos. We also have a designated timeout spot - in the laundry room. We got the idea from the Goulds. We keep a chair in there with a booster seat attached so that we can strap Chloe in during her timeouts - otherwise she'll get down and try to come out. Just an idea if Micah keeps "rescuing" Ethan from his crib. :)

Kim said...

The boys are so handsome and Micah has a sweet heart! It was nice to hear your voice today!

Unknown said...

i like the strap down idea? I can't wait until my boys start playing like that! Well, in some ways i can, but i still think that was a cute story!

The Goulds said...

I say anywhere that they can not get out, harm themselves & not bring you to pulling your hair out is great :) My girls don't rescue..they stand at the door & tell the other one to stop crying. :)

Hansen Family said...

What cute boys. How lucky are they to have eachother!